Monday, December 6, 2010

Love for Granted

Today in one of my classes we discussed how in France - 40% of the music on the French radio has to be French, 30% has to be new age French, and the rest can be from the USA, UK, etc. My teacher then said, "But, French music sucks anyway."

The only thing I know about French music is that I don't know much. But, I do know that Spurs Point Guard Tony Parker had a run at making a French rap career. It's been some time since I've heard it, but what I remember about it is what you would expect. Junk.

Nevertheless, I retorted my teacher's claim and said, "Well, France does have Phoenix." I was disappointed immediately thereafter that nobody in my class knew who Phoenix was. Really, guys?

Over the course of the past few years, Phoenix has exploded. Musical festivals, Cadillac CTS Commercials, and concerts that sell out in minutes. Yes, they are so. right. now. But let's take it back to Old School Phoenix for a moment. It's a wonderful song entitled, "Love for Granted." It's smooth and melodic. Lots of harmonies. And the beauty comes from the snap-count and piano, which both work together to navigate this song over the waves and in to the clouds above the Atlantic. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment