Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kubrick's House

Icons in the Night, Pt. II


I just started watching Stanley Kubrick's last film, Eyes Wide Shut. While there is some controversy as to whether he felt like the film was, "a piece of Shit - - in which Kidman & Cruise had there way with me" (according to R. Lee Ermy), or his supposed best work, it was ultimately his final film. Compelled to do some researching, this man was a fascinating creature. I love several things about him. 1) His refusal of the Hollywood system 2) His reclusiveness 3) Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey 4) His passion for the arts and his refusal for the media.

Oh, Kubrick. I have all the more respect for you because of the aforementioned shunning of the Hollywood monster.

Our current Hollywood system is a conglomerated hype machine. I watched 30 minutes of the Golden Globes tonight. In the process, all I could think of was how self-righteous these people are: Drinking fine champagne, leaning on their tabloid lovers, wearing fine-designer wear and giving speeches about the relevance of their roles. Ho-hum. Enough with this bunk-dumpington-hogwash. I need the arts. Renaissance, Pt. II: Invade our culture and rid us of the junk-skunkers. The only relevant film I have seen this year was The King's Speech. Get on it. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment