Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Books, Man. B-O-O-K-S


When it comes to love and passions, books, music, film, sports and the outdoors are all fighting with one another for first place. But lately, books have saddled up and ridden "15 miles" ahead of the rest. I can't get enough reading time. I was at home this past weekend and talked with Bill about books. We were discussing the Civil War, Ken Kesey and then we lulled in to Tom Clancy, a guy who is famous for his fictional war novels. But did you know that Tom Clancy is just an insurance agent? You wouldn't guess that if you read Rainbow Six or The Sum of All Fears, both of which are really entertaining by the way. I am not trying to advocate anyone reading those type of books, because in truth - they are so empty and void of soul *and I speculate that they are also the work of ghostwriters. But, the best books are the ones that leave you thinking about them 2 days later, rethinking the ending time and again. In many ways, it's like the best films you see - they leave you thinking about them. Moreover, it seems as though the best books are written by the men & women who experienced what goes down in the book (i.e. Herman Wouk novels - fought in WWII). Bill is a big reader. Our library at home is 3 walls of hardcover books filled with authors like Larry McMurtry, Will & Ariel Durant and Gore Vidal. I just picked up PT-109 from Bill's Library; I remember loving that movie as a kid and the story of JFK's pre-presidential heroics. I am also just beginning on 100 Years of Solitude. 

There are many things I do not understand, but what I do know is that life is short and books are the finest way to learn things about this world (only slightly in front of travel). I already feel behind in terms of reading things because there is so much to read and so little time to do it. As of today I am 23, and the clock is ticking. I have got to read, read, read, read, read. And so should you. God Bless.

Hotel California forever (The Eagles x Drake)

Barry Manilow - Copacabana

Elton John - Someone Saved My Life Tonight (Live) Ephesus

1 comment:

  1. 100 Years Of Solitude is one of my favorites. Marquez's descriptions make you almost taste and breath what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete